I purchased a 2003 Toyota Highlander from Carmax in Morrow, GA. I love this vehicle.

The first week of driving the car I noticed a wah wah sound at 30 mph. It also had a clanking noise in the front. I took it in to their service department and after a week I was told the car was ready. When I went to pick it up the car had the same issues.

I was told they could not duplicate the noise. I put it back in for repairs. I was told they replaced a broken brake caliper and the noise I was hearing was the tires. They are cupped.

They rotated the tires and said the problem was fixed. The noise is still there. I was told they would put 4 brand new tires on the car if the noise did not stop. After 6 weeks it is still in the shop and now they will only replace 2 of the tires with a poor quality brand that is not suitable for the car.

I explained to the manager this is not satisfactory. I asked him if he would put in writing that the tires are safe and would not wear out prematurely. He refused of course. I have contacted the home office but have yet to get a response.

Do not buy from Carmax. They do not inspect their vehicles, sell unsafe cars and refuse to repair the junk they sell. I am not picking up my car until the tires are replaced and the noise is gone. My next step is to contact a consumer advocate at a local news station.

Maybe some free publicity will help them do the right thing. BUYER BEWARE!

Comments

Davie, Florida, United States #858777

Carmax will NOT replace tires for noise. They like to pass the cost on to the customer.

Plus Carmax standards for tire is 4/32 thread wear n the middle of the tire and 2/32 on the edges.

Heck by then the tires are just about bald. CUSTOMER BEWARE !!!!!

You can thank Ed Hill, Brian Stone and the rest of the communist regime at Carmax.

They reward stores monetarily that lower "All in cost" which is what they should be spending to bring cars up to an acceptable mechanical and cosmetic level.