Atlanta, Georgia

I live in Atlanta, Georgia and I located a Land Rover LR4 at the Carmax location in Hartford, Connecticut. Concerned about road corrosion on a northern car, I called the Hartford location and spoke with a rep who told me that Car Max has a rigorous inspection process and that if the car had significant road corrosion it would not pass the inspection.

Based on this representation, I paid $649 to have the car shipped to the Kennesaw, Georgia location. When I picked up the car I crawled underneath it and noticed significant rusting. I purchased the car under the 5 day return policy and took it to a Land Rover dealer for a $250 inspection to determine how much of a problem the corrosion presented. The dealer found significant surface rust and corrosion on the undercarriage of the vehicle.

The inspection report noted "There is a high likelihood that if/when any repairs are needed to the under body of the vehicle it will be difficult to remove items (i.e. suspension components, exhaust components, also if any body work is needed). The inspection also found that the battery was faulty and needed replacing and that the tires were below the 5/32 recommended wear replacement level. I took the car back to the Kennesaw location and asked for a refund of my $649 shipping fee.

The sales rep refused to refund my money and that Car Max considers a car to be "okay" unless the rust perforates the metal. The highly touted Car Max inspection process is a complete joke. I will never buy another car from Car Max and will tell all my friends to avoid it like the plague. If you live in Atlanta, do not buy a black Land Rover LR4 from the Kennesaw location.

VIN No. SALAG2V68EA707415

Product or Service Mentioned: Carmax Vehicle Inspection.

Reason of review: Bad quality.

Carmax Cons: Inspection standards.

• Inspection Scam