I purchased a 2005 Nissan Pathfinder from Carmax in Arlington, TX in August this year on a Saturday. Sunday night, the check engine light is on. I called them Monday morning, and said that they couldn't get me into the dealership until friday. (conveniently AFTER the 5 day return option expired). I take it in friday, and they confirmed that it needed a new fuel pump. I pick it up and a few days later, light is on again. Had the code scanned at autozone and its an issue with the fuel pump. Back to carmax it goes for fuel pump number two. I pick it up and actually had 2 weeks of issue free driving. Then the light is back on. In to Carmax she goes again for a catalytic converter. And this was the day that the 30 day warranty expired.

I drive it for another week and a half and noticed that the transmissin was acting funny. Low and behold, while backing out of my girlfriends parents driveway, when i put the vehicle in drive, the transmission made a clunking noise, and the light is back on. The transmission went into "safe" mode. I limped it back down her parent's driveway and got a ride back home. Of course since the warranty is expired i'm not calling carmax to fix it and i only know and trust one mechanic so i have the vehicle towed to him (her parents aren't in the same town, so it was a 50 mile tow which cost me $200). He checked it out and the transmission control module was in need of replacing due to solenoids going bad. He also noticed that coolant had leaked into the transmission from a cracked hose or fitting or something apparently thats an issue with MANY nissans). Ok so. Transmission is fixed now and runs fine. Last night while taking the kids to grandmas for trick or treating, we decided to pull into a drive through for something to eat on the way and while sitting in the drive through, it started idling VERY rough and then died. Wont start back up.

My girlfriend, pregnant with our 3rd child, bursts into tears because she knows we can't afford to sink any more money into a vehicle that was supposed to have been checked out top to bottom and in good working order (yeah right). I no longer feel safe driving the vehicle because I am constantly wondering what might happen next. And i definitely do not trust driving my children around in such an unreliable vehicle. Oh.. and my SECOND PAYMENT is due today. so I'm faced with having to chose between making that payment, or having it towed back to my mechanic (another $200 charge) to see whats wrong with it this time. I'm DONE with this piece of junk! and I will NEVER buy another vehicle from Carmax. And yes, all 572 friends i have on Facebook, as well as my followers on twitter and Google plus know of all my issues and i'm pretty sure they'll stay away from carmax as well.

Had an Experience with Carmax?

Comments

I'm so sorry.My best advice is to get rid of that piece of junk & trade it in on a new or FACTORY certified used car.

You will eat a few grand, but you will be making payments on a car that you can rely on.

Tell everyone you know.don't ever stop.

Tell everyone you know.don't ever stop.

I totally understand the way you feel.Tell your wife things will work out, and just DONT EVER GO BACK TO CARMAX!

Those vehicles are suppose to be all checked out and any repairs should be done before the vehicles are ready for sale.carmax does not give a *** about the quality of thier vehicles OR THESE COMPLAINTS WOULD STOP!