9K views

I went into Carmax to sell them my Lexus Mint shape.Kelly Blue book has car listed at $9000.

I'm going to sell this car to a private owner, but just for the heck of it I went to the Schaumburg Carmax just to get a quote.

They gave me a number of $4000. What a joke!

I also had a friend selling a Suv a few months ago, Carmax offered him $9000 he sold it the next day to a private owner for $13000 cash.

Take the time and sell your car on your own you will save a minimum of $1000 and probably a *** of a lot more.Carmax is ok to buy cars but do not sell them your car unless you want to be raped.

Had an Experience with Carmax?

Comments

Jacksonville, Florida, United States #1322793

I also went to Carmax to look at some cars but to find out what my Cadillac CTS was worth, they offered me 1/3 of what NADA said was a wholesale price for my vehicle in the area.

What a rip off, i'll never go back.

Pell City, Alabama, United States #1254468

Agree, Have once and ONLY ONCE got an offer from Car-Max. They need to continue to buy unknowns at auction for more money than they offer drive in offers to sell.

Houston, Texas, United States #954408

KBB for my Mercedes 550 was 19300-20500 for selling to a dealer.Car Max offered 17000.

I went to auto nation on line and got 19500 with no hassles from another dealer.Carmax is a rip off for nice, good condition lien free cars.

Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States #944715

You're *** if you think they're not trying to make money off your car.The KBB value on my Mazda3 is just above $10k, and Carmax offered me $10k.

I've had the car listed for just that for 2 weeks, and have had no serious inquiries, just a lady asking if I'd take less. I'd be hard pressed to get a private buyer to give me more than what Carmax is offering, and selling to Carmax is easier. I've sold 3 other cars privately and would take the convenience of Carmax over an extra $500. In the case of the original poster, that's unfortunate, you're better off selling privately.

But Carmax isn't looking for cars like yours.

They're looking for the Focuses, Civics, Mazdas, etc.with low miles.

#872012

So true - I went to Carmax yesterday Sept 17 in Winston Salem NC to sell my 2012 Cruze.They had my same car on lot with 59000 miles, mine has 55000, plus the car on the lot did not have the RS package like mine.

They had it listed on the lot for 14998. I figured mine would list for approx 16000 if it was on their lot. My car is clean I bought it knew. They offered me 10000!

Can you believe that?They wanted to make 6000 off of me.

ringleader
North Attleborough, Massachusetts, United States #696245

Why sell your vehicle to carmax and lose hundreds or thousands of dollars?Don't be foolish, especially in todays economy.

Many people sell their vehicles to carmax because it's convenient, but it will cost you a lot of money for that convenience. carmax will explain to the customers that you will save the time and strangers coming to your house and driving your vehicle! Thats just a line of BS, it's a sales tactic to worry the customer. carmax also knows people are desperate to sell their vehicles because of financial issues, so they will low ball you.

After all, what does carmax have to lose! The sales person is the one getting screwed out of their time, not carmax.

If a customer decides not to sell, the sales person just wasted 30 to 40 minutes with their finger up their @$$.carmax is a very unethical company, and it's up to customers to put them into bankruptcy.

Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States #694976

I don't know why anyone expects to get 100% of what it's worth at a dealer. They have to make a profit, and if your car is worth 10k, they'll probably give you around 5k, which gives them room to negotiate with a potential buyer. If you want more money, do the work yourself to find a buyer.

ringleader
to Anonymous North Attleborough, Massachusetts, United States #695957

carmax does NOT negotiate anonymous. carmax wants to know exactly how much profit they can make. carmax is the "dealer" known for screwing the customer without negotiating!

to Anonymous #893883

Um down here Carmax doesn't negotiate on prices. Sticker price is no haggle price when someone buys a car. So yeah they really are making that much.

Raleigh, North Carolina, United States #671460

After two visits attempting to sell them vehicles I explained to the salesman that I already give to the United Way and can't afford to donate my car to Carmax.