Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Tried to buy a 2003 Acura MDX from Carmax, I took the car to my mechanic for inspection within Carmax's 5 day inspection guarantee and there were three critical items that needed to be addressed 1) break pads/rotars needed to be replaced, 2) engine mount was cracked and needed to be fixed, 3) the car was 8-years old and had 99,900 plus miles, which according to the Acura maintenance manual required the replacement of the timing chain. Sales manager led me to believe that they were going to repair the vehicle and bring it up to required maintenance standards/replace timing chain.

Carmax refused to replace the timing chain and I returned the vehicle to Carmax, the car was placed back on their lot without fixing any of the noted problems. Vehicle does not meet Acura's maintenance requirements, is not safe and needs work.

Product or Service Mentioned: Carmax Repair.

Comments

First off, Carmax should have caught the vehicle up to its service interval for that mileage which would include the timing BELT ( it does not have a chain) as for the brakes & motor mount, if the brakes have at least 30% left, they should leave them alone, it sounds like your mechanic was trying to make a buck as brakes are common upsells when they have anything less than 50%. People bs customers and prey on emotions with saftey issues. I assure you, if it NEEDED brakes, Carmax would have done them, The motor mount is probably a bs item your mechanic wants to upsell you also, unless its completely broken or falling apart, it is normal to see some stress cracking on a 100,000 mile vehicle, keep in mind, this is not something thats going to leave you on the side of the road and you did not buy a new vehicle, it will have normal wear & tear.

It is very sad that such a large comapany with areputation of great servic and great cars turns out to be a scamming agency. Carmax seems to specialize in selling cars with bad engine while pretendign to run 5 star check on.

I purchases a Nissan Sentra from carmax as well on Oct. 1st, 2011, by the 6th, it was making odd noise. So I broguht it in for a check up on the 12th and they announced to me that the engine was bad ad they were just going to let me return the car instead of fixing it because it would be too expensive (car was under warranty I paid for), as I am being tossed around from one helpless supervisor to another, each of them with a different version of the story and no soluton to the problem, I resulto returning it and do purchase my car else where. It's very sad that people spend so much money advertising about their 5 star check system would take it so lightly and play with people's life in sucha manner.

A vehicle is not just a transporation method, it can also turn into a weapon. as casually as we may take this "toy", it can take our life if it is not taken care of in the proper way or mishandled.---Carmax, you can not taek people's lives so lightly and act as thoug you are not responsible for selling vehicles in bad condition, especially after you advertise tha tyou run a complete check on them.

We received your complaint at our Corporate Office. We would like to discuss your experience with you. Please call us at 800-519-1511, Monday-Friday 8:30am-8:00pm (EST).

Carmax Reviews