73.3K views

Ok I have read a lot of the complaints that are on here about CarMax and well after a month of working there I can truly say that they are a complete rip off! First they offer you a so called fair price on your vehicle. The reality is that they offer you way less than what they sell it for at a ratio on the dollar, basically if they offer you 5 grand they’ll sell it for 8,000. If they buy it for 11,000 they’ll sell it for 16,000, its a huge joke really. The other day an older gentleman came in with a 2007 Silverado with only 27k miles on it and he got an actual good deal getting 17k dollars for it because the car truly was immaculate. Six days later we turned around and sold it for 25,900. Ridiculous margin, this is just icing on the cake though. Then there are the auctions. The day after they bought that Silverado they went to an auction and bought 20 cars, mostly fleet vehicles. With an average price tag of 3-5k, they got a good deal. Once they hit the lot the average price selling was 12-15k! Ridiculous margins...

Now they say they spend 12 hrs with a 125point inspection examining there cars and reconditioning them for sale before they will even put them on the lot, this is the most ridiculous thing that I have ever heard and is a 100% falsity. In the service area they have rotations, once they have a dozen or so cars in the incoming inventory area they have a cleaning party, literally. To bad this party only lasts a few hours, the cars run through a gas station style car wash and comes out at the end with a line of people waiting for it. Each person in the services area rotates each time they clean to a new item to clean on the car, so one person wipes the windows and another vacuums, and then another picks up trash out of the vehicle. One person wipes off the hoods, one for one side of the car and one for the other side of the car. The reality is that not a single person gives any one vehicle any undivided attention. Notice I did not mention at any point any diagnostic checks or functional maintenance. There is absolutely no reconditioning going on here! The resulting level of cleaning is comparable to my 5year old son detailing the car. When a car comes in, it may be marked for new tires/oil change or to have a huge scratch fixed but otherwise there is no service done at all. As a salesman It is downright embarrassing, you lie to the customer and tell them how well refurbished the car is, and then you open up the door and the seats need shampooing and there are french fries in the center counsel on a 27k dollar vehicle. This happened to me today, and I cant do it anymore. Absolutely ridiculous....

Now something that they don’t want you to know is that 65% yes 65% of vehicles that they sell have issues within 90 days! And when customers bring them in for "extended service plans" the customer always ends up paying for a portion of the work going well beyond there MaxCare deductible. I was working with the Service Manager the other day and was told that the sales people needed to quit selling it, and that the deductibles should be completely removed because they were very misleading. He told me that 80% of his job was to deal with customers that were pissed because they were lied too! Absolutely ridiculous...,.

Its a scary thought to know that they sell 450K+ cars a year nationally and there customers are do discontent with there purchases. I will say though that as the market dictates and as consumers become aware, that the bull will give CarMax the horns. There parent company was a little company that we all know as Circuit City! If you remember there story, they went bankrupt after a huge expansion in 2009 and closed there doors. CarMax has just set out on the same mission, there planning on opening a new location every month for the next few years.. You think they would have learned there lesson the first time, lol.

To sum it all up, CarMax is a joke, stay away, far far away!

Comments

@Anonymous

You mentioned carmax does 25-35% return on a trade in if it sells. Does it sure?

I am going on my 3rd car from CarMax. PERFECT CONDITIONS..low mileage.

NO problems. My family gets vehicles here also because of the high quality cars and service. YOU..my friend just sound like a disgruntled employee!! What happened?

Got fired?? But it's understandable...I hate my job too!!

@Cindy

Your *** if you buy car from carmax. No haggle read the sign u can get better deals anywhere else......buy car from me dummy.

@Cindy

There are some good cars at CarMax; but many require unexpected, serious service within a very brief period of time --- I experienced customer complaints of being stranded along the highway driving the car home right after purchase; blown out tires; oh and you must check the tires. I sold a car when I first was hired that was returned because none of the tires matched - all different brands - all four.

It was like they raped cars going to auction for a 4 different tires. Bad, bad deal - who wants to drive away in a circus wagon? In short, I understand from longtime sales consultants; CarMax corporate is getting worse every year about saving every dime they can; consequently the quality of cars continues to decline. Customer service that once was stellar is continually going down too.

Anything that costs CarMax money is seeing the big hammer come down. I got a big talking to from management for siding with customers when cars had blatant flaws like huge, obvious paint drips down the driver's door on a $59,000 car; tears in seats; oil leaks etc. Cars sold at night are harder to inspect before drive away. CarMax sucks whether one still works there or left employment because of higher personal belief in fair treatment or standards.

Working at CarMax is what I would imagine being in the penitentiary would be like --- do what you are told and you are not allowed to question anything.

If you are fired or find a better job; it might feel the same as being paroled. LOL

I work for CarMax and this guy is just full of it we make the people happy anyway we can

@Anonymous

You are brainwashed, buddy. I believe only fools work there and drink that CarMax koolaid.

I side with customers with legitimate complaints and get in trouble with management. I do not promise them a sure fix; but I will agree with them when there is a real problem. Only an *** would try to convince them that an oil leak or grinding in the engine is normal and "no problem." I agree there can be good days working there; but overall, it is a certifiable *** hole. Obviously, satisfied CarMax employees either have no qualifications to work elsewhere or they have never worked for a company that truly valued their worth.

You have to sacrifice your entire person life to put in the hours to get a decent paycheck & the dang management still tries to find fault in everything you do.

It is not any kind of place to hold on to your self-esteem. They want losers that cannot think for themselves, even a little bit.

#1119646

Their...

It's their not there

@Anonymous

This is not a spelling bee. CarMax has sales consultants that cannot even speak proper English; much less spell.

Do not call the kettle black - this guy that cannot spell or use correct words speaks the TRUTH AND NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH. CarMax is NOT what it use to be. The Board of Directors that were Circuit City losers came up with a good business model when they opened CarMax; but over the years have dived into mediocrity in exchange for bigger profits. They do not give one dang bit about the employees that work there or the customers that buy cars from them.

That is 100% the truth. They want robots for workers and complete gullible fools for customers. It is time both wake up and let CarMax go bankrupt. I do think CarMax stock is taking a tumble lately --- the robots at work keep crying and complaining their stock is taking a dive.

They pray to Mother Teresa that it goes back up.

Customers need to wake up and go somewhere else to buy cars and stop thinking CarMax cares about them. THEY DON'T.

Are you serious? So how do you expect Carmax to pay you if they don't charge a premium on a car, exactly?

If you've only been there a month, how do you know about the "90 day car issues"?

I've had a hassle free selling experience and gotten a better deal there than the private dealers every time.

@Anonymous

U really think haggle free is good deal. U must have bad credit....

@Anonymous

You have been lucky. I had a customer who had a simple problem.

When the oil was changed; the filter was not put in place correctly and all the oil drained out. Guess what happened when the young girl kept driving the car until the oil light and engine light came on.

First week she had the car. Ooopps!

Also I forgot to say if you have a problem with the salesman or customer service that's their department and take it up with that department. No, It shouldn't ever happen.

Just don't be rude about it! Explain that you want another salesman or if it's customer service on a vehicle bought contact the corporate's complaint department.

After reading the article and then most of the posts (it just got too silly to continue) I felt I needed to comment, and I really don't ever make comments, think it's the 2 or 3rd I ever have. My husband is a master mechanic with 10 ASE working for 17 years for Carmax.

He's not the only master mechanic there either. Yes they have lower level mechanic's with less cert's but regardless of that I will tell you that they DO more than what that person says. If it 'needs' something mechanical or cosmetic they do it. If you want to comment that not everything gets done to save money, yep it happens.

If something like the windshield wipers etc.. aren't new but still very good, guess what they aren't gonna replace them. If it's a safety thing, your darn tootin' it gets fixed! There's never discrepancy about that!

If it's something under warranty still from dealership it gets sent to dealership. I hear from him mostly everyday of what he was working on that day, or even over days/weeks at a time until the vehicle is fixed. Sometimes at a cost loss to his salary for the amount of time that gets put in because of what a book time says it should take to do. That's not always the case.

Regardless it's his work and doesn't want a car to 'comeback' under his name because he won't then get paid to fix it!! None of them do. That's how it works. Not every mechanic there is a master mechanic, but they follow diagnostic checks and road test cars more than once btw.

Now also and unfortunately if a mechanic is working on a vehicle and is waiting for parts to come in, can take a few hours or a few days, sometimes then the car might not go back to the same mechanic due to shift or day off etc.. the car gets put back into rotation to finish up. If there is a problem with a vehicle when looking to buy or within Carmax warranty period say something.. That's why they give that period to do so.

My husband is a good mechanic, helped me with rebuilding motor for a for a 45 yr old Camaro, and knows more about the in's and outs of new cars too. He is not the only one, there ARE good mechanic's there. If there happens to be a problem with the quality of a vehicle, and yes it made be valid, it happens and also depending on circumstances. If you buy a used northern car there may be some rust.

They usually don't let rust buckets pass, at least not at my husbands location. Other than that IT IS a used car.

@Anonymous

Your poor husband... you are right, many mechanics at CarMax are very diligent.

Too bad CarMax does not pay them fairly. They have a time limit code to fix each repair so I can see how some things just do not get done. AND they do not get paid if a car comes back in. That darn well stinks - not even a hard working mechanic can foresee or predict how much his paycheck will be.

This benefits CarMax; so this is not giving the mechanics any wiggle room to be certain that the fix is really fixed.

They are honest, hard workers and I have witnessed some quit because their paycheck gets dinged way too often. The mechanics are not the problem; it's the ridiculous guidelines they must follow put out by the dollar counters.

your car was a piece of junk the minute you bought a ford escape!

It sounds like this is bull. I bought two cars from Carmax and besides one being in a terrible accident the other one still works.

The only problem i have with Carmax is the amount of costs to fix things that isn't under warranty.. or if your warranty has expired.

@Anonymous

Listen to what you just said. The amount it cost to fix things that are not under warranty!

That is exactly what he was saying. Ummm Hello??

What's so comical about soo many of these posts, is that the same can be heard or said about the majority of corporate company jobs, if not a lot of other jobs in the private or government sector. The truth is, one could replace the name "Carmax" with just about any other corporate name and you'd get the same complaints and stories.

I've certainly had my share of companies that I disliked or even hated, which I have worked for. Really it comes down to finding your fit or accepting that it's just a job...your key to survival. Nearly any company is going to reward and promote those that fit in, those that are liked (perhaps because they suck up to managers) as apposed to those that are high performers. It's about being liked.

I read nearly all these posts and don't see anything unusual about Carmax from other employers.

#1197781
@Danj

This guy is an absolute *** that has no clue what he is talking about. This seems like a performance based response because he wasn't able to sell any cars.

I have bought 6 cars from CarMax and have had no problems.

My window regulator broke 90 days after I purchased and CarMax took care of it no questions asked and no obligation to do so. Go to CarMax, they are the best

Carmax Reviews