73.1K views

Ok I have read a lot of the complaints that are on here about CarMax and well after a month of working there I can truly say that they are a complete rip off! First they offer you a so called fair price on your vehicle. The reality is that they offer you way less than what they sell it for at a ratio on the dollar, basically if they offer you 5 grand they’ll sell it for 8,000. If they buy it for 11,000 they’ll sell it for 16,000, its a huge joke really. The other day an older gentleman came in with a 2007 Silverado with only 27k miles on it and he got an actual good deal getting 17k dollars for it because the car truly was immaculate. Six days later we turned around and sold it for 25,900. Ridiculous margin, this is just icing on the cake though. Then there are the auctions. The day after they bought that Silverado they went to an auction and bought 20 cars, mostly fleet vehicles. With an average price tag of 3-5k, they got a good deal. Once they hit the lot the average price selling was 12-15k! Ridiculous margins...

Now they say they spend 12 hrs with a 125point inspection examining there cars and reconditioning them for sale before they will even put them on the lot, this is the most ridiculous thing that I have ever heard and is a 100% falsity. In the service area they have rotations, once they have a dozen or so cars in the incoming inventory area they have a cleaning party, literally. To bad this party only lasts a few hours, the cars run through a gas station style car wash and comes out at the end with a line of people waiting for it. Each person in the services area rotates each time they clean to a new item to clean on the car, so one person wipes the windows and another vacuums, and then another picks up trash out of the vehicle. One person wipes off the hoods, one for one side of the car and one for the other side of the car. The reality is that not a single person gives any one vehicle any undivided attention. Notice I did not mention at any point any diagnostic checks or functional maintenance. There is absolutely no reconditioning going on here! The resulting level of cleaning is comparable to my 5year old son detailing the car. When a car comes in, it may be marked for new tires/oil change or to have a huge scratch fixed but otherwise there is no service done at all. As a salesman It is downright embarrassing, you lie to the customer and tell them how well refurbished the car is, and then you open up the door and the seats need shampooing and there are french fries in the center counsel on a 27k dollar vehicle. This happened to me today, and I cant do it anymore. Absolutely ridiculous....

Now something that they don’t want you to know is that 65% yes 65% of vehicles that they sell have issues within 90 days! And when customers bring them in for "extended service plans" the customer always ends up paying for a portion of the work going well beyond there MaxCare deductible. I was working with the Service Manager the other day and was told that the sales people needed to quit selling it, and that the deductibles should be completely removed because they were very misleading. He told me that 80% of his job was to deal with customers that were pissed because they were lied too! Absolutely ridiculous...,.

Its a scary thought to know that they sell 450K+ cars a year nationally and there customers are do discontent with there purchases. I will say though that as the market dictates and as consumers become aware, that the bull will give CarMax the horns. There parent company was a little company that we all know as Circuit City! If you remember there story, they went bankrupt after a huge expansion in 2009 and closed there doors. CarMax has just set out on the same mission, there planning on opening a new location every month for the next few years.. You think they would have learned there lesson the first time, lol.

To sum it all up, CarMax is a joke, stay away, far far away!

Comments

Because of this post, I didn't go there today! Thank you.

Why would people pay way above nada guides for vehicles being sold at Car Max???????????

That information is just not true.

@Anonymous

It’s true!

*Their

FALSESomali

Im sure carmax isn’t perfect... but do you honestly think that a used ford , Chrysler, dodge going to last you for ever...

carmax is a used car Lot!!! If you people can’t afford a new car stop complaining and roll the dice on a used vehicle plain and simple... I bought a used Mercedes took it to the Mercedes dealership and got a oil change and topped off fluids..

they didn’t report anything wrong with it ..my car sits in my garage I only use it on the weekends ... I have yet to use my “extended warranty” only got it for long term piece of mind ...

NonstopSomali515

I can not comment on other individuals experiences, but I have purschased my last two cars from CarMax and will most definitely buy my thrid from them as well. My first purchase was a 2010 BMW, purchased in 2012.

I bought the car with 50k on it and was in teh middle of nowhere when the water pump broke. I drove, like an idiot, 20 miles to a random BMW dealership and turns out I craked a head by driving on a bad water pump. Car needed a whole new engine, which my Max Crae replaced no problem. I think I paid 250 bucks for a new BMW engine.

After that I drove that BMW til it had 186k miles on it and never fixed anything aside from routine maintenance like oil changes and spark plugs. I t was a great Car. Bought a 2015 Acura ILX in 2017, car had 11k miles on it, and now has close to 50k miles and I have not had a single problem with it.

When you buy a Mercedes or BMW with 80k miles on it, you ahve to know that it will require fixing, especially at around 100k. All cars do.

Just had a bad experience with Car Max- They sold a car to my step son , who has a 5 month old baby. 6 months later he decides he needs to get something less expensive and turns out car was in an accident, which Car Max did not disclose.

Value of car is now $8,000 less, money he can't afford to loose. They claim no responsibility. Unbelievable in this day and age. I went on line and found many similar claims.

There should be a major class action suit and shut these guys down. Car Max-the worst....

Yep today the offered me 4k less than retail.

I worked for Carmax for over 11 years as a Technician. I can also tell you that Carmax is a total joke.

They are the most dishonest people I ever worked for. After you have been there over 10 years, they look for a reason to fire you...... they fired me just before I turned 60 and I saw them fire many, many other older techs with over 10 years. They set you up thru the years and then they can can get rid of you for anything.

Carmax is a horrible place to work and an even worse place to buy a car. They don't do anything to the cars unless they have to and then they put cheap parts on them. Their techs are not qualified to do a lot of the repairs either - the techs have no training. They put garbage 30 dollar tires on the cars.

Don't trust them!! Go to a real dealership - New Car! I never bought a car from them in the whole 11 years I worked there - their prices are ridiculous!!!

If you buy a car from them, you will pay a new car price for a used car. Carmax is a miserable place to work!!!

@CM

Agreed!!! Total joke

This guy is a moron. I’ve also worked for Carmax and for the most part everyone tries to give you the best quality car for the best price we can.

Company still has to make a profit though so yes they have to have a “margin”. I’ve seen the margin be $5k and I’ve seen the margin be $500. Depends on the type of car and how long Carmax expects to keep it in inventory. As far as 12!hours of reconditioning, it’s 12 mechanic labor hours.

If anyone knows what this means, it means that for an average mechanic it should average 12 hours. For experienced mechanics it can be done much faster but it does go through an inspection and the mechanic who does the inspection is held accountable if the vehicle comes back for repair so they try their hardest to make sure it’s a good vehicle. But at the end of the day, it’s a used car people. You can’t foresee all issues and *** does happen.

Good luck returning a car or getting it fixed at a traditional place if you aren’t happy with it.

At least at Carmax you have options. People like this retard *** me off because they *** on a good company who’s trying to make car buying easy in a world where MOST dealers are liars and cheats.

@Anonymous

You do realize you just defended a $5,000 markup. And you also spread lies about mechanics hours. It's almost like you're trying to convince people to go get themselves ripped off by CarMax.

Can't please everyone. They must be doing something right they sell a lot of cars.

I have bought 3 card from them not a single problem with e any of them will continue to buy from them. No one's perfect.

I almost purchased a car at CarMax. My sister did and it is falling apart in less than a year...a Mercedes Benz no less.

So true about car max doing 125 inspections on vehicles,it is a joke.I bought a Lancer in 2017 from them for my son and the a/c was not working and it has been back 5 times and they can't get it right a year later.So they me I have to pay my deductible after they never fixed the issue. To end my story,they don't do a 125 point inspection,it is a joke

@G.perez

They do not do a 125 point inspection I worked there much of the work is subbed out

@Art Phillips

I too have heard that when they buy cars from auction, they pass through a recon facility (3rd party), who does the inspections and recondition. I assume based on which facility that is, your quality standards WILL differ, some parts of the country may be good, where others may be poor.

That being said, I bought & returned a car from CarMax. The tires were cupped. They made terrible, loud noise. Guess that got missed by the 3rd party recon.

Before I bought it, I brought my concern up with CarMax, they said it was fine. I still disagree. I brought it to another dealer, (Mercedes) they determined tires were cupped as well. I provided that in writing to CarMax upon my return.

They discarded it as if it never happened, so clearly they don't care too much. There were other defects that were not discovered or disclosed. It happens. Always be a diligent buyer, and request CarMax repair issues BEFORE you take delivery...

You have 7 days, do not feel ashamed to return your car. I've heard they have a 13% return rate. Btw, the return process is VERY painless. You are refunded 100%, plates, fees, etc included.

Three weeks later, they lowered the price on the car I returned by 1K. I'm considering buying it again.

I worked there for almost a year. In my opinion from my research on sites like cargurus, carmax is always one of the most expensive.

This guy is a fool who knows nothing about running a business. Of COURSE they are going to sell your car for several thousand more than they bought it for.

He calls this "margin".

He is ignoring the MULTIMILLION dollar dealership building and facility, and the rent or payment on a several acre lot which is HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of dollars a year, and the paying of salaries for employees, insurance, etc.

After ALL of this, are they NOT entitled to a profit? Good grief.

Just another disgruntled employee.