I took my 2008 BMW 328i to get appraised at the Kearny Mesa CarMax (San Diego). I take excellent care of my car inside and out, so I was shocked to see a huge scrape on the area just below the passenger door and a dent to the undercarriage just below it. I went in to inform them of the damage and the first guy (claimed he was a manager) said that CarMax wouldn't damage a vehicle during and appraisal. When I told him the damage was on the passenger side, he told me that it was not possible for them to have caused the damage because they don't make any right turns during the appraisal process!!! WTF... they don't make any right hand turns... that's something u don't hear everyday. He didn't even take a look at the damage and was already telling me there was no way CarMax was responsible.

They had me wait for the actual person that did the appraisal only for her to tell me that if she had in fact done the damage, she would have come clean about it. I asked to speak to the manager and she said she was a manager. I kept asking for the general manager's name and she would't to give it to me. I then asked for a district manager and she told me that there was no one above her... I didn't know CarMax's CEO did appraisals!!! I was persistent about getting a phone number until she told me that they don't really have that information available but that she would see what she could find. After a while, she comes back with the number for customer relations.

I'm so disappointed with the way they conducted themselves. Especially with the "We don't make any right turns," response. Had I known this is how CarMax handles customer disputes, I would have never taken my car there. I'm going to post this on as many review sites that I can so that people can read for themselves and see if taking a car in for an appraisal is worth the risk.

Comments

Had same experience at Fremont, CA today.

Car max broke my four wheel drive on a test drive

Poway, California, United States #675600

Can't stress this enough. Whip out your mobile phone, walk around your car and take pictures from all angles, including the wheels, before you let anyone, be it carmax, a private buyer, mechanic, or even a valet drive your car.

Let them see you do this, they will take extra care to take care of your vehicle and if you inspect your car immediately upon it's return, there's very little room for argument dispute your date/time stamped photos.

Also would like to know if you were prevented from accompanying the appraiser during the test drive? If carmax refused to let me ride along, they wouldn't get a chance to appraise my car and lowball me with a wholesale offer.

Hi there. We'd like the opportunity to discuss your concern.

Please reach out to us M-F between the hours of 8:30 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.

EST at 1(800) 519-1511. Thanks!

CarMax Customer Relations

Quit being a whiner. U ended up wasted their and your time.

If you had the car for sale private party, and some test drive, and did the damage you "claim carmax did" you wouldn't have any recourse. plus you can't prove they did any damage to your car.

How convent that u noticed the damage imediatly after you had your car apraised. Seems fishy on you part

to CarMax Sales Appraisal Process Tracy, California, United States #1231850

CarMax Sales Appraisal Process. They allegedly work for Carbreak, I mean Carmax.

Quit being a whiner. U ended up wasted their and your time.

U filed a police report and called your ins co before leaving the premises right?