2005 Honda, 24K miles, proved to have flood damage.

Carmax tried to sell us a 2005 Honda minivan with 24K miles that had flood damage. We discovered the damage (rust,damaged belts, etc.) before it was too late. You must fully inspect & research their cars. Running a Carfax report is not sufficient. We lost the $149 transfer fee & hope they don't try legal action to force us into buying it. Carmax was the worst experience in our lives. Stay away - they have scam artistry down to a science, such as displaying a damaged car in their showroom & claiming that they know how to spot a damaged car. Perhaps so, but that won't stop them from selling one to their customers.

I wish I had discovered this website before I had a horrifying buying experience with CarMax. I didn't know this was the way car buying should be...They also sold me a flooded vehicle.

It was a 2007 Saab that had extensive salt water damage, rust and corrosion. The vehicle has also been in a rear-end collision. I discovered all of this extensive damage when I on a hunch and for my piece of mind decided to have a lemon-buster auto inspector evaluate the car. After he finished telling me what was wrong with the vehicle and showing me all the rust on the motor mounts and corrosion on all the wiring, I almost had a heart attack.

Never mind the fact that I had recently lost my husband from cancer, so he was not available to help me buy a vehicle. I trusted CarMax and they sold me a lemon. I took the inspector's report to them and returned the vehicle. They tried to convince me that the damage was normal and that I should keep it.

I had to show them what this weeping widow was made of. Only then, did they do the right thing and allow me to select another vehicle. Of course I paid to have it inspected and it passed my inspection. I got a great deal and now I'm loving my new Pathfinder, and I'm glad I didn't get stuck with the Saab.

As a matter of fact, all the other Saabs that I looked at also had salt water damage and rust. I learned a valuable lesson from this experience. When shopping at CarMax you should keep in mind that you are not buying bells and whistles. They are incidentals.

You are buying what's under the hood. If you aren't knowlegeable, have the vehicle inspected immediately after you drive it off the lot.

If you discover problems, have them repair it and return the vehicle if you don't want it and get another vehicle or a refund (if that's possible). All potential CarMax Buyers should beware of their scams, lemons and unscrupulous sales practices.

Carmax sold me a wrecked vehicle and sold a freind of the family a vehicle with frame rot thru. The delership told them is was salt water damage from a submerge.Hmmm..125 pt inspection...

I think it was a catrina rental special. The BBB protects its customers...CarMax is one...

You know they have a 5 day return policy. Tell them you want to speak with their LGM and if that doesn't work, that you will gladly take it to your states consumer board. They tend to give you your money back then.

View more comments (2)
Tampa, Florida
Loss

Carmax likes to make an example of employees

Today I was placed on administrative leave because my Ops manager came into the place where I was having lunch with another employee and saw me drinking what appeared to be beer. At the time he did not ask what it was or even make mention of having it, rather he...

contrary to what you may believe, non-alcoholic beer does contain a very small amount of alcohol. also, his argument that you may have been damaging the image of the company by drinking 'what appeared to be' a beer, is in my opinion, legitimate.

i think it was just a thoughtless move on your part and i don't think it warrants firing, but certainly a check from your superior would be fine.

maybe they haven't liked you for some time...??

Stockton, California

Carmax lemon undercover

I bought a Chrysler SUV Pacifica March of 07. The vehicle had front aligment problems and brake problems. Shortly after that the power roof window stop opening. I purchase the expensive warranty but carmax do not honor their warrant. The reason they don't is...

I bought a 2001 pontiac grand prix SE from Carmax in 2005. I had to return the car the same week for repair on the head gasket.

Apparently the "fine toothed comb" and one hundred point inspection did not include checking the coolant bay for whipped oil in the coolant. After that I went about 1 year and a half and the transmission needed a rebuild. I was out of the car for about 3 months while they attempted to repair everything around the tranny. This included re doing the original engine work as they noticed that it needed attention.

My warranty was nearly up by this time and 3 months after all this the engine went up anyway. 4000 bucks. Couldn't pay for the repairs and Carmax washed their hands of the deal. I still have to pay the note and still have to keep it tagged and insured.

This is 1/4 of my monthly income and I have to maintain a 19 year old beater so that I can get to work semi regularly. I am now severly behind in the payments and cannot afford to keep the car but cannot get another loan because of the high interest rate.

Thanks Carmax! You're the best!

Mechanicsville, Maryland

*** off

I traded my Suburban in on a mini-van due to gas prices.... what a mistake? Drove off the lot and 20min later I realize that the van was over heating. Return the vehicle the next day and carmax informed me that it was a head gasket and didn't return my vehicle until three weeks later. On top of that two months later my transmission started slipping along with the starter and rear & front calipers and the electrical wiring is going. All this after one year trading it in will cause me to pay double the payment. f#### carmax

iTs not 3 days but 5 days return policy no hassle or question asked

I worked for Carmax for some time and those thing were rara but selling as many cars as they do some lemons always are going to slip by.

Carmax has a 3 days no excuses return policy. If a car blows a gasket I would have it returned inmediately!! and replaced it

@PissedConsumer42811

I agree, but this is actual proof that carmax doeas not fix their vehicle before selling them!! You cannot tell me that carmax did not hear engine noises on this vehicle prior to selling it!

carmax is guilty of advertising QUALITY VEHICLES that are not! What does their 125 point inspection actually mean?

View more comments (2)
East Hartford, Connecticut

Carmax sells my loan to Triad then tells me I have no loan on car

I purchased a brand new Jeep Liberty on 3/19/2005 at Carmax in Norcross, GA. Carmax approved my loan and I took delivery of the new vehicle. Within 2 weeks, my payment book arrived from Triad Financial in California. All is good, except thew 15% loan rate. In April, I lose my job and move to CT. I get a new job in June, making $50 per hour. I had missed 3 payments (May. June, July) but catch up by the end of August. As soon as I catch up, Carmax calls me to repo the vehicle because they calim there was no loan. They paid off my loan to Triad. Meantime, they had already sold my tradein. So, now I had no car, no loan and had to scramble to purchase a new Honda in CT from a reputable dealer. I have never missed a payment on my Honda, plus my loan rate is very low 8%. Well, I thought I was done with Carmax, until last week, 3 years later, they sue me for the deficit on the tradein for the Jeep they sold me in 2005. So, they thionk they can get away with taking back a car, leave you with $7K deficit, no loan, and be able to sue you in court. Well, they are in fopr a surprise, as I now do work for the CT Judicial Branch and know all the judges personally. Plus, I also took my claim to CT Attorney General Blumental, who now is threatening to shut down their 2 CT stores. My attorney says Carmax will lose the case, plus they will most likely be shut down permanently in CT. They are also facing likely Bankruptcy; their sales are down 47% this year. Good riddance Carmax. The world will be a much better place without them!

:cry

Mike, you must be a ***, or what? I hope you lose your job some day, like I did 3 years ago, with no job in sight. When I bought the Jeep, I was making $60K per year, after making $100K + per year 2 years earlier.

FYI, by the time taxes and expenses, and yes, I need to feed my family, bozo, and pay my mortgage, then maybe I'll be lucky to save $200. When I lost my job in 2005, after 2 years of reduced employment, my savings went down the toilet. So, before you flap your jaw, understand that people DO have legitimate problems. It is criminal that outfits, likeCarmax treat humans in the US like aninals. It is *** like, you that should be hung by their kebes.

What Carmax did IS CRIMINAL and against the law in most states. I had received a payment book from Triad, so YES, the loan was approved.

By the way, CT treats people much better. I was able to get a car loan at 9% with zero down in 2005. I am not like your normal ***, like you have all over the Republican states. If I make a mistake, I fix it. That is not justification for being crucified.

Mike, you are a fleeting ***!

First off to everyone. Don't let this guy anywhere near any of your court cases, he doesn't understand the very basics of what he is accusing CARMAX of.

Please, allow me to clutter this mess with some facts. One: Carmax did not approve your loan and "sell it" to Triad. Triad approved the loan and Carmax acted as a representative of the bank as allowed per their dealer agreement. Second, Triad is a secondary lender, so the 15% is actually probably thier best tier since they are normally only used for poor credit people.

If the dealership could have gotten a lower rate they would have just so they could mark it up and make more money on someone willing to sign at 15% and complain about it later when they act surprise at their payment book, which usually just has payment stubs in and rarely mention the interest rate. It's just an excuse at why he signed at 15%. Third: got loan in second half of March, first payment not due till May. That's called a first payment default which most secondary banks will make the dealership purchase the contract back by paying off the loan.

In the meantime, they sell this guys trade in assuming he'll make the payments and most used cars sell within 30-45 days. Carmax is then responsible to repo this car since, because no payments were made, they are out the money to the bank and need to get their money back. Four: A repo is a repo and how repos work is like this, every time. The person owed the money takes the collateral back and sells it (by law) for whatever they can get.

They then sue the customer who broke their contract for the rest of the money they agreed to pay that the dealer had to pay. Finally, Why do i find it highly unlikely that the AG in CT would even think about taking legal action against two CT stores for a perfectly legal lawsuit against one of his employees who didn't pay his bill on a loan he got in GA?

Another person blaming his poor money management ( if i lose my job tom. I'll still have enough saved to pay all my bills for the next 4 mos at least) on a company that is simply trying to get back what they lost by helping someone get a loan.

sorry you lost you job because of the economy but don't blame a company for your problems.

***. CarMax is the best used car dealer around. Go buy a lemon at your local shop.

I sure hope they start closing them ALL down. People used to drive off with what they thought was a good deal, and then CAF (Carmax Auto Financing) would screw them over.

Great way to do business, but it's the games they play to ***.

Unfortunately, once you "sell" your car to Carmax, or any other dealer, it's gone.

View more comments (5)
Rocky Hill, Connecticut
Service
Carmax Loan

Carmax 30 day warranty (((NOT))) IN WI

The sales pitch sounds great! Carmax is unlike any other (they tell you) when you are looking to purchase a used car, because they provide a 30 day warranty "in writing". Sales personnel at all levels tell you that you have 30 days to visit the...

I am writing this so that CarMax would reform itself and go back to what it used to be.

Reading the complaints from both customers and current or former sales representatives, I must agree that what they have written sounds like what I experienced from the Indianapolis store.

When I started at Carmax 4 years ago, the store was a fun and pleasant place to work. Unfortunately it began to decline when a new LGM took the helm. The new LGM, interestingly was one of the original employees of the very first CarMax. The main problem with him, in my opinion, is that he follows corporate rules to the letter. He is not a thinking leader, but more of a rookie police officer who tickets drivers for going 56 mph in a 55 mph zone.

Besides the new LGM, CarMax product and sales Rep quality began to decline about 2 years ago. This is why I left CarMax. Their 125 point inspection, I speculate, were not always followed by those inspecting the vehicles since many vehicles had mechanical and cosmetic issues. The Reps hired 4 years ago seemed like quality employees, but the new hires seem like they were recruited directly from a welfare line.

Yes, it is true, that you should never buy a Honda or Toyota from CarMax, unless you want to pay more for a used car than a brand new one. The best part about CarMax, to their defense, is that none of the Sales Reps can rip you off... unless of course you buy MaxCare extended warranty or any of their overpriced low quality aftermarket accessories.

Oh, if you want to return a car, they will make it very difficult for you to do so. They have a 325 lbs, 6 foot 6 inch manager there who is a preacher on Sunday, but will put you through *** if you try to return anything to the store.

All in all, however, CarMax is not a bad place to buy vehicles such as 2 year old domestics, SUVs or luxury brands. Regarding their pitch that they will buy every car they appraise…this is not entirely true. If CarMax does not want to buy a vehicle, they simply offer such a low amount for the unwanted vehicle that the seller is forced to go elsewhere. Smart.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin

CARMAX INDIANAPOLIS, IN IS A WASTE OF TIME

I made a 2:00 appointment with a specific sales rep over the phone to have them appraise my 2001 Saturn L200. When I arrived on time the sales rep I made an appointment with was gone and they called a different sales rep for me to deal with. I was told I would wait while an appraiser test drove and diagnosed my vehicle, I in turn explained that I would not be making an decisions that day and I am aware the price is good for 7 days. After 1 hour wait I was pulled back into a cubicle and was told that everything was in "Good" condition except the air conditioner was not running cold. The offer was for $2,000. I was stunned because the KBB is for $3,600. When I told the sales rep this his response was "well, Kelly Blue Book doesn't purchase cars now, do they"? He couldn't believe I walked away from the offer. P-L-E-A-S-E!!!!!

The quick truth about Carmax:

They cater to the *** or lazy car-buyers who have no idea what they are doing. Their mo:

1)Overprice cars (no wiggle room of course)

2) Way underprice a car you want to sell to them.

3)Rip you off on the interest rate if you finance through them.

4) Clueless sales people.

If this is what you are looking for folks, you got it. The only GOOD thing about Carmax is you are able to go there and test drive a variety of different makes and models. After you decide, go somewhere else.

Sorry dude, unfortunatly KBB is not a good reference for used car pricing. dealers buy cars at auction which use a black book and thats what they were going by.

Next time look at Edmunds.com for TMV true market value they are usaully very close to black book and you won't be misinformed as to what your vehicle is really worth on the market. I have been a dealer for 25 years and hear the KKB said it was worth line many times.

Sorry its a dog eat dog business but this is good adice for the future. This is not saying that carmax doesn't suck they do but thats another topic.

Sorry to burst your bubble, son, but if you read my posts on Pissed Consumer Lowes, I'm a Specialist for them, and not a dealer. I just speak the truth, and you must be a CarMax "salesman", (using that term loosely).

You assumed what I was, so I guess it's fair to assume what you are. Actually, I KNOW what you are!

Sorry retailer4life, we know you're a dealer.

Better yet, ALWAYS go to a small "mom and pop" new car store. He may only have a small selection of new and used vehicles, but 9 times out of 10 his overhead is low, the building is paid for, he does not spend $$$ per month on glitzy advertising, he has only a couple of older, knowledgable, professional salespeople on staff, and he genuinly cares about you, the customer, because he's been in town in the same location for years, and also knows that his future business depends on you, his valued customer.

I have always found my best deals in operations such as this, again usually with no "wheeling and dealing" like the big boys do. Remember, when you see that that big, fancy 100 car showroom lit up like a Vegas casino, you're paying for that when you buy a new or used car from a dealer like that.

Reading the complaints from both customers and current or former sales representatives, I must agree that what they have written sounds accurate.

When I started at Carmax 4 years ago, the store was a fun and pleasant place to work. Unfortunately it began to decline when a new LGM took the helm. The new LGM interestingly was one of the original employees of the very first CarMax. The main problem with him, in my opinion, is that he follows corporate rules to the letter. He is not a thinking leader, but more of a rookie police officer who tickets drivers for going 56 mph in a 55 mph zone. The Indy location became so corporate that many Reps began to leave.

Besides the new LGM, CarMax product and sales Rep quality began to decline about 2 years ago. This is why I left CarMax. Their 125 point inspection, I speculate, were not always followed by those inspecting the vehicles since many vehicles had mechanical and cosmetic issues. The Reps hired 4 years ago seemed like quality employees, but the new hires seem less qualified.

Oh, if you want to return a car, they will make it very difficult for you to do so. They have a 325 lbs, 6 foot 6 inch manager there who is a preacher on Sunday, but will put you through H-E-L-L if you try to return anything to the store.

I understand now the misconception regarding KBB vs. Black Book however I am also aware that my car was in high demand (in my area) per the Manheim Auto Auction.

That was from a GM for Saturn and I also from a friend who worked for a Chevrolet car dealership.

I was interested in a Toyota or Honda, hence, the visit to Carmax. No worries now, I received what I wanted and I am the happy owner of a 2009 Toyota :)

Yeah, we "used" the Black Book. We would look at the book and then we would look to see where we were on buys for the month.

If we were doing well, then screw the book. If we were not doing well, then screw the book. What the buyers are looking at is what they would pay at auction for the car in question.

If BB said it was valued at $10,000, but we could purchase it at auction for $8000, then we would offer ONLY $8000. One of my favorite phrases to the shocked customer is "KBB doesn't have a Buy My Car Now button on their website, do they?"

8) The sales rep should've explained to you in a professional manner why KBB, while it's a good source for a ballpark price on your veicle, is only updated every 2 to 3 months. Therefore, it's delayed in reflecting current market value.

Besides, the CarMax appraisers use Black Book, which gets updated 2 to 3 days. Don't let one poorly-skilled sales person's attitude ruin your day.

View more comments (8)
Indianapolis, Indiana

CarMax in Colo Springs

Not a complaint, hope this stays! I was totally surprised at my CarMax buying experience. IT WAS PERFECT. I expected much less and was very hesitant walking in the door. They gave me a GREAT price on my 07 Patriot, better than what was offered at the local car dealers, and I got what is basically the car of my greatest desires, an 07 Charger R/T at a price which was higher than when it was offered for sale on eBay by a car dealership that had it, didn't sell it (in Lewisville, TX) and then wholesaled it to CarMax. CarMax price was $24.9K, in TX it was $23.7K, but that's my fault for not finding it first! I did NOT buy the extended warranty because of all the bad things I have read about CarMax and their service depts, but, I still have alot of factory warranty left as the car had 3500 miles on it. All in All, best experience I've ever had buying a car, and I've bought 8 cars in the last 7 years, and many before that. I can't do anything but PRAISE CarMax Colo Springs and heck, I may buy some stock!
Buena Vista, Colorado

Corporate policy caused lost sale

Having relocated to a new state, I brought a car out of storage from Indiana to California. I purchased the car from Carmax in Indianapolis. Having been stored, the registration lapsed. Wanting a new vehicle, I drove 90 minutes to the nearest Carmax because they had several vehicle I was interested in. After picking a '05 Acura RL (at $30K) I proceded to the next step, appraisal of my trade. I was informed that they would not appraise my trade under any circumstance even though they still held title to the car! I explained to the "manager" that if I walked out the door, I would NEVER return, plus I would talk down Carmax at every opportunity, he responded by shrugging his shoulders. I left and went to my local Acura dealer, and got a better deal! They had absolutely NO issues with my trade. Any business that treats a repeat client in this fashion deserves no patronage.

They can buy whatever they want... I sold my van and traded it in for a Mustang (mid-life crisis).

They usually don't sell the high mileage cars on their lot but at an auction.

You can't get mad at them for not buying your car...

it's 100% their perogative to buy whatever they want. If you put a for sale sign in the window and parked it on the street would you attack the first person who walked buy and didn't buy your car?

So what.....they didn't want your trade.....get over it... they and any other dealer have the right to not want your car...I'm happy he gave you the answer he did...you deserved it....I am so tired of people that think companys have to take one in the behind to get there money....I wish more companys had the balls to do that.

Jkearns, perhaps Carmax had information history of your vehicle purchased in Indianapolis, that you were not aware of? Interesting.....

Why would Carmax refuse to appraise a vehicle they sold, if it was not modified? I did not mean to be to hard on the Truth, but the point of modification is a good point, the good condition statement is not.

Truth(?) WRONG....Carmax does not only buy CERTAIN late model cars. They bought our 1994 Ford Escort with over 180,000 miles (with a bad muffler) and more than its share of RUST....how does the TRUTH respond to this?

GO JKearns, we are with you all the way!!! The Truth has just been corrected by the REALTRUTH.

Your comment doesn't seem to make sense - CarMax only buys certain late model cars in good condition that haven't been modified. If yours wasn't one, then of course they will not appraise. You didn't state why they wouldn't appraise, so...???

View more comments (4)
Concord, California

Carmax not up to the hype, but not bad

I purchased a fairly nice Saab Aero from Carmax Louisville in early April. The price on the car was very good, but they only gave me $11,000 for a Toyota Tundra that was worth at least $15,000. After the deal was closed, the car was supposed to be given to me with a full tank and nicely detailed. They had done neither. I later discovered that the reason they did not fill the tank was because the gas cap seal was bad and would trip the "Check Engine" light, which of course came on after my first fill up. Luckily, the car was still under manufacturer warranty and my local dealer replaced at no charge. Since truck values are plummeting, I guess maybe I didn't come out too bad when they bought my vehicle, but it was still a lousy price. Have driven the Aero for four months now, and it is a great car with great gas mileage so far, no problems.
Frankfort, Kentucky

Former employee

I was employed by Car-max as an employee long enough to get the Big Picture. They talk the talk but do not walk the walk. They play games with the sales people, showing favor to "top salespeople". No such thing as treating everyone equal. They turn their...

I'm currently in training working in inventory and I love everything about my job. My co-workers are awesome and very friendly, no one judges, theres no cliques, the GM is great and all of the managers are very involved.

My mentors haven't been training me rather my co-workers have but it doesn't bother me - I'm being trained regardless who it is.

It's very hard work and the commute is long but this is the first job where I enjoy going to work. If anyone is having trouble with ANYTHING, you can always call the home office and express your concerns if the GM won't listen.

Fort Myers, Florida

Carmax is a rip off!

I bought my car at carmax 10 months ago. The car has been in the shop 5 times since then. All for the electrical system in one form or another. I bought the extended warranty. They now tell me that they don't know if the warranty will cover what is wrong with the car. I took it to them for the same problem and they fixed it. Now they don't know if they can guarantee the work that they did less than 6 months ago! I had them "appraise" the car so that they can take it back. They appraised the car for half of what they sold the car for less than a year ago. Consumers beware! Car max cars are not worth the discount. They have no problem selling cars that don't work and will not fix them once they sell them no matter what "extended warrenty" they sell you.

Just 5 times in 10 months! Consider yourself lucky, many customers have brought it back more than that.

The Warranty is NOT honored at all repair facilities...took mine to Toyota and they would not accept the Carmax Warranty. So YOU ARE WRONG>

The extended warranty you bought is good at any repair facility. I suggest you take it somewhere else if you think they are not fixing it properly. Used cars will break.

@PissedConsumer55809

Hey MaxCar guy, Would you like to explain as to why so many of your vehicles are not fixed properly before you sell them?

View more comments (3)
Los Angeles, California
Loss

Want to know about CarMax?

This is from a current CarMax employee who has worked in several of their used car departments. Sales - The sales people are actually pretty well trained, but there are still those that don't have a clue to what they are doing. The longer they go in training, the...

Lol do your research on the lower class it's actually more opportunity to move up and it pays better then a lot of other positions ***

Alpharetta, Georgia

Carmax buy your car offer not to bad in my case

I had an older BMW 528i with over 164,000 miles. Some minor dents and dings but ran fine. Wasn't trading in and just wanted to get rid of the car. Blue book was maybe $4,500. Carmax offered me $3,000 which I declined. So I took it to an auction where it sold for $3,600 the first day. After fees and commission I left with $3,350 or just a little better than the Carmax offer. Since their offer was good for a week, I could have gone back of the auction didn't work out.
Richmond, Virginia

Carmax sold me a lemon too.

I purchase a car that i had always wanted after my divorce. In addition, i am thankful that i purchased the extended warranty. However, my problems with my car soon began after about 5 months and my car has had multiple problems and been in the carmax shop more than 7...

Not to get off the subject, but why do people insist on buying BMW and Mercedes? I just dont understand the practicality.

They cost a FORTUNE to fix and have tons of problems. People must have to have this status thing, it makes very little sense.

Livingston, New Jersey